I recommend you practice turning off the Mobile Network at home so you are familiar with how it is done once you find yourself in a Roaming situation.
Word to the wise;
- If you make a call while connected with a Free Wi-Fi hotspot stay put until you are done talking. Once you move away from the Wi-Fi hotspot your call will drop.
- Before you travel internationally contact your carrier to ask “What is covered and what is NOT” while roaming. This could include your Internet email (Gmail, Yahoo and more). This is considered data when roaming. You are charged for roaming data even if you do not open the email account on your device.
- Ask about the cost to add International Data Roaming for one month, it may very well be worth the fee versus the surprise charges to your account afterwards.
- Find out the fee for Instant messaging, SMS chat.
- BlackBerry Messenger and Pin to Pin are both FREE
How to setup and connect to a Wi-Fi network
You may also be provided security credentials (WEP, PSK, EAP-TLS etc...) in order to be connected.
- From the Home screen,
- Locate and click the Manage Connections icon (For many mobile devices, this may be located in the Settings)
- Depending on the mobile device you will need to check the box for Wi-Fi and uncheck Mobile Network
- Your device will show a list of wi-fi networks, just click on the one you want to connect.
- If security key is required, you will be automatically prompted to enter it.
For Manual Setup:
- Select Set Up Wi-Fi Network > Other Ways to Connect > Manually Connect to Network.
- Type a profile name in the SSID field, type the name of the Wi-Fi network, Click Next.
- In the Security Type field, click the Wi-Fi network security type or credentials you have been provided.
- Click Save and Connect.
Just that simple, now practice.